Who doesn’t love to stay at a clean home? Everyone wants to relax and feel comfortable at home, and anyone will feel disturbed to stay with a bad smell for sure. So, when you get an unpleasant smell at home, your very first responsibility is to clean it.
Now the question is where to start?
In the USA, 85 million people have a pet. And if you are a pet owner, you might have experienced odors in the carpet 1 or 2 or several times.
Cats are the most common pet in the USA. Cats don’t frequently urinate, similar to other pets. Removing cat odors is difficult because their urine is so thick.
So, how to clean dried cat urine from carpet?
Well, let’s learn several methods from below.
What are the methods of Cleaning Dried Cat Urine from Carpet?
Dr. Kornreich states, “many cat owners don’t pay attention to cleaning cat urine quickly. Finally, they land with a more concentrated smell.”
Moreover, when the urine dries, it becomes invisible. As a result, you have no other choice except to clean the whole carpet.
Ingredients to be used
Using many different products such as baking soda, vinegar, or enzyme cleaners, you can get rid of cat urine odors.
Vinegar and Baking Soda
Vinegar itself is a bit smelly. It is categorized as an acid that works effectively to neutralize alkaline salts of dried cat urine.
The mixture of water and vinegar can clean the urine odor from the carpet, wall, and floor. Vinegar takes the odor with it and reduces the odor after a few days of applying it.
Enzyme cleaners are an efficient solution for reducing odors from carpets, cushions, mattresses, and other areas. Cat urine consists of acid, and enzymes break it, minimizing urine smell within a short time. The helpful bacteria and natural enzymes kill harmful bacteria and give you an odor-free environment in your home.
It is essential to keep in mind, clean a urinated area thoroughly so that your cat also can’t smell the place. It is because the area can be used again if your cat smells it.
Ethanol and water are the main components of vodka. You will be surprised at the efficient performance of vodka in terms of removing cat urine. Moreover, vodka is an effective solution for eliminating fungus, bacteria, stains from carpets.
Avoid Using Ammonia-based Products
Never decide to use the ammonia-based product to clean urine odor. Cat urine contains ammonia. As stated earlier, the cat will likely get urine in the same area if the cat smells it.
Additionally, the stain can set when you use ammonia – unlike what you are trying to do.
Now, let’s look at the methods.
● Use clean, and cotton made cloth to blot the area. Remove urine as much as possible.
● Take the enzyme cleaner and apply it to the urinated area. The odor will start reducing once the enzyme actively breaks the acid components of the urine.
● Give the cleaner at least 10 – 15 minutes of rest.
● Again use a clean cloth to blot the area. Ensure using a clean cloth. Otherwise, the urine can return to the area from the used fabric.
● Next, dip another clean cloth into warm water and rinse the area again with it.
● Let the area dry properly. Using a dryer is also advisable.
● Continue the same process if required.
● In this process, you have to make a mixture of vinegar and water. Fill up a bottle with ½ cup vinegar and 1 ½ cup warm water. And mix it well.
● Then blot a urinated area with a clean and soft cloth.
● Rinse the area with the mixture you made and let it sit for 5 minutes. Vinegar is categorized as a natural cleaner, which will kill the bacteria of the urinated area.
● After 5 minutes, use a fresh cloth to blot up the area again.
● Once the area is fully dried, apply a large amount of baking soda to the area and wait for at least 24 hours; on the next day, use a vacuum cleaner to clean the baking soda.
Before following this method, you have to do a test. To make sure the carpet color doesn’t change, first check an irresistible carpet spot with the mixture. If it passes the test, ensure following the below steps.
● Using fresh cloth is mandatory to blot up the area in every process.
● Then use a considerable amount of baking soda on the area.
● Now you have to make a solution. Dish detergent: 1 teaspoon (without bleach) and 3% H2O2 of ¾ cup. Mix them well into a bottle or container.
● Apply the mixture over the baking soda.
● Use a soft bristle brush to apply the mixture following circular motion on the affected area. At this stage, the baking soda will do the magic.
● Wait until the mixture dries appropriately, and take help from a vacuum cleaner to remove the mix.
● If you need, follow the same process again.
● Take a paper towel or new cloth and dry the area as much as you can.
● Prepare a mixture of 50% water and 50% vodka in a bottle. This way, the mixture will last longer.
● The mixture needs to be sprayed on the stain. Let the mixture stay on the area for 10 – 15 minutes.
● Soak up the area using an absorbent material.
● Or you can use baking soda to soak up the area because baking soda is a good absorbent. At this point, you have to use a carpet cleaning machine for pet urine to clean the area after 24 hours.
Important Note: Using vodka is unsuitable if the wood is used on the floor. It is only suitable when the floor is made of tile or has carpet on it.
Frequently Asked Question
Question: Will cat urine smell ever go away?
Answer: Cat urine contains uric acid. It can stay on wooden surfaces, carpets, cushions for many years if improperly cleaned. Using any of the above methods will help you to get rid of cat urine smell. All the above ingredients will neutralize the bad smell and remove it from the affected area. Otherwise, the odor will return on a humid day.
Question: How do you discipline a cat for peeing outside the litter box?
Answer: Below are a few tips that will help you discipline your cat to pee outside the litter box.
● Spend quality time with your cat playing different games
● Reward your cat with treats
● Ensure ideal environment so that the cat doesn’t pee outside the litter box
● Give your cat training to litter inside the box
● Train your cat
With the above methods, rewashing may require if the odor doesn’t go away permanently. Urine odor can disturb you, take out your peace, consider cleaning the area thoroughly.
Hopefully, you got the answer to the question “how to clean dried cat urine from carpet.” Each process is easy to follow, and the ingredients are readily available.
Consider consulting with a veterinarian for a check-up if your cat urinates outside of the litter box regularly, without any apparent reason.